Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Becoming of a Saying...

I just returned to Shanghai after a two month hiatus and have started studying Chinese. Language opens up another dimension to understanding a culture, especially in China where the language and culture is so different from North America. While I studied on my own for my first five months here, it was difficult to get really into it, both because I was busy with work and more importantly, those of you who know me know that I tend to procrastinate (ie. I watched all five seasons of The Wire in 3 and a half months). However, I have managed to pick up a bit about the language.

I think a huge part of the Chinese language which really emphasizes our inability to fully understand Chinese culture is 成语 ('Chengyu' or literally, 'to become a saying'). Chengyu are traditional Chinese idioms, usually containing four characters. Chengyu are impossible to understand in modern Chinese without learning the context behind them as the four characters represent the moral behind the story and not the story itself.

Here are a few of my favourites (there are hundreds):

  • 画蛇添足 ('hua she tian zu,' 'draw snake add foot'). The story is, there was a competition to see who could draw a snake the fastest. The person who finished first then added feet. Just then, another guy finished and won. The moral of the story is you should know when to stop. I think this really speaks to a main difference between Chinese and Western culture. In North America, people pride themselves and others on being innovative and creative. They'd be like, "ya bitch, thats sweet! Add those feet!" (It's like in Billy Madison when he passed Grade 1 because he drew a blue duck..) In China, they're like, "know your role motha fucka."
  • Another great one is 守株待兔 ('shou zhu dai tu', 'wait beside tree trunk waiting for rabbit'). One day a hunter saw a rabbit run into a tree and die. The hunter than waited by the tree everyday for the same thing to happen. It never did. The moral is, don't wait around for another miracle. Be hardworking.

















There is no real equivalent in the English language but here's an example. I found this when searching for 成语 on a Chinese website. I guess they are trying to understand OUR crazy language!

No comments:

Post a Comment