Sunday, May 10, 2009

Rocking out in Zhenjiang: The Festival

The festival was amazing! It was a rock festival but there was an eclectic mix of rock, folk, heavy metal, funk, electronica and a wide array of Chinese and western bands (three being from Canada). There were two stages - the main stage had all the live music while the side stage had a dj with electronica music. I spent minimal time listening to the DJs as I spend most of my weekends listening to them. I instead wanted to be engaged in the live music scene in China.

There were food stands set up in the festival, just like at any festival in Canada. Although I wasn't a huge fan as the food was just a bunch of 小吃('xiao chi', or small eats). 小吃 also mainly consisted of 羊肉串 ('yang rou chuan' or lamb on a stick). Not the biggest fan...Luckily street food vendors took advantage of the festival and set up right outside of the entrance. Street food, soo good...

Anyway, onto the music. I'm not much of a metal head but it was fun partying with a bunch of metal heads...I crowd surfed for the first time and was thrown into the mosh pit a couple of times. I have never been felt up so many times in my life! These little Chinese boys who are usually so polite were just grabbing everyone and everything. I got out of there fast...

There was one really good Canadian band, which I missed! I was out getting food and could hear them from a distance. They are called So Called and supposedly they will be playing at folk fest!

The Chinese bands were awesome. There was a pretty cool "folk rocker" group called Cold Fairyland with a woman singer who played this Chinese type violin (don't know what its called).
















I think my favourite act though was the Subs which had this amazing female lead who was just giving her all! it was cool seeing such a powerful Chinese woman on stage. I went to see her again in Shanghai after and she was just as amazing. She had a great style, an interesting voice and a lot of power.

The last act was amazing too. Everyone was looking forward to 痛仰. It was one of those bands that every country has; a sort of alternative sound that young people are familiar with. I think of them as the Counting Crows of China. It was cool to be in the middle of a Chinese crowd that was singing their hearts out.

Overall it was a random and great experience. I am finally at the level with my Chinese where I can have a fairly deep conversation and understand fairly well what's going on. I am also finally getting comfortable living here and exploring new and different circles. This experience was definitely new and different and I was able to (and forced to) use my Chinese. There is so much more for me to see and do here but I am leaving in less than two months! Hopefully I can experience more things like this and soak up as much as possible before I leave!

peace out!





















No comments:

Post a Comment