Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Text message breakup

So I decided I was getting sick of living with the family...They treated me like an employee, which I was but they were not friendly or warm at all. I liked the daughter and the dad was ok but the mom was quite unpleasant.

I started to realize that I wasn't very comfortable living there. For example, not only was I using a hand towel as a bath towel, they stopped feeding me. They would make the normal amount of food that they used to make but would only offer me two of the four dishes. And when I would go in the fridge, the mom would firmly say, "你干什么?“ ("ni gan shenme?", a rude way of saying "what are you doing"). I was getting hungry and frustrated.

So I called my friend on Friday to ask him if I could sleep on his couch for the next couple weeks. I thought I would gently break the news to Melody, the girl I was teaching the next day. I texted her to see when she had time to meet and she informed me that she was not accepted into the school in the UK and was therefore not moving. Then she said:

"i am sorry that my parents let me tell you you cannot live here cause i wont go to uk this year."

TEXT MESSAGE BREAK UP! And she beat me to it! I was going to break up with her, not the other way around! Anyway, I got out of there fast.

It wasn't all that bad. I learned a lot about Shanghainese culture, ate a lot of really good Shanghainese food and saved quite a bit of money in rent! And I will start traveling in less than three weeks! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment