Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Birthday in China: what kind texts can do...

Not a bad day. But because I was so scared of my host family hating me, I didnt do much. I went to my Chinese language class, did a presentation about local food movements in a Chinese middle school, saw their organic garden they started (unfortunately it is in a gravel pit so they won't be able to grow much) and then taught some English. I came home early tonight and my host mom made me 生日面 ('Shengri mian' or Birthday noodles), also known as longevity noodles. Chinese people eat noodles on their birthdays as long noodles are meant to symbolize a long life.

I met a random Chinese man at the organic garden today. He asked me for my number which is not that strange in China. Everyone asks for everyone's number all the time. Later in the evening I got the nicest text from him. I hadnt even told him it was my birthday and I have no idea why he wrote it. Here it is:

不管人生路上有几多风雨,朋友如伞, 伴你一路晴空! 祝天天俞快!
Bu guan ren sheng lu sheng you ji duo feng yu, pengyou ru san, ban ni yi lu qing kong. zhu tian tian yu kuai!

No matter how many clouds and how much wind there is on your life path, friends are like your umbrella. They will accompany you into clear sky. Wishing you a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment