Friday, April 10, 2009

明日星城 SHANGHAI: THE FUTURE













I recently moved in with a Shanghainese family. The parents pay for my rent, my food and I, in exchange, hang out with their 23 year old graphic designer daughter (and speak English with her). Their apartment complex, 明日星城 (mingri xing cheng, or SHANGHAI: THE FUTURE) is pimped out. Not only is the complex called SHANGHAI: THE FUTURE, the architecture is insanely futuristic, there is a pool and gym and it houses (I am guessing) the upcoming upper middle class in Shanghai. Mingri xing cheng, built in the midst of 'Old Shanghai' where old, dilapidated houses and buildings reign, is a great symbol of the inequality in Shanghai and in China. (More pictures and commentary will follow after exploring the area more).




Anyway, the living situation, in theory, is a pretty sweet deal for me (aka. I live for this shit!). I thrive on meeting new people and experiencing new cultures. However, its been harder than I thought it would be...Even though I have spent a total of 9 months in Shanghai, I forgot to consider that both language and cultural barriers could ensue. This failed foresight has led to countless awkward situations.



Firstly, we set no rules, guidelines or made a contract before I moved in. They kept saying, 随便,随便!('suibian, suibian,' 'Whatever is ok!') A couple days after I moved in, the parents sat me down and in Chinese (without their daughter present) told me that we have no obligations to each other. If I want to leave I can leave, and if they aren't satisfied with me, they can kick me out. Talk about awkward! On top of that, they speak Shanghainese at the dinner table knowing I cant understand anything. (The daugther always tells them to speak putonghua (mandarin). I really feel unwanted and truly 'mafan' (bothersome) when they do that. Moreover, our lives and habits are SO different! They asked me before I moved in if I 'xiguan' Shanghai (which means, am I used to it). I kept saying yes, of course! But I thought they were talking about the food....The parents are extremely traditional and are not fans of my habits (going out late and coming home late). I have therefore been trying to change my life in order to appease them which means that my social life is currently in remission.

Lets see how much longer I can last! Keep you posted...

(Photographs courtesy of the internet)

1 comment:

  1. Nice Blog!
    Anyway, you could be fun in Chinese characteristics:D

    ReplyDelete